Your privacy is important to An Sionnach Fionn (ASF) and this privacy statement sets out how ASF collects, uses and protects any information you give it when you use AnSionnachFionn.com. If you give ASF any information by which you can be identified when using AnSionnachFionn.com then it will be used only in accordance with this privacy statement.
ASF may change this privacy statement from time to time. It is your responsibility to regularly review the Privacy page for changes. By continuing to use the site you agree to these changes.
2. Persons under the age of 13
AnSionnachFionn.com is not directed at persons under 13 years of age and is offered only to users who are 13 or older. ASF does not knowingly collect information from or about children under the age of 13. If ASF discovers that it has inadvertently collected personal information from a child under the age of 13 it will delete that information as soon as possible.
3. Persons aged 13 to 17
ASF recommends that young people aged 13 to 17 ask their parents or legal guardians for permission before using AnSionnachFionn.com.
4. What An Sionnach Fionn collects
ASF may collect the following information, in part using software provided by the hosting company, WordPress.com:
- Information supplied when you use the website or associated apps;
- Information which you post on AnSionnachFionn.com;
- Information which you otherwise provide to ASF (for example by email or private message); and
- Information relating to your use of AnSionnachFionn.com generally.
Technical details in connection with visits to this website may be logged for ASF’s statistical purposes, using software provided by the hosting company, WordPress.com.
The technical details logged may include:
- The IP addresses of some visitors;
- The previous website address from which a visitor reached ASF, including some search terms used;
- “Clickstream” data which shows the traffic of visitors around AnSionnachFionn.com (for example showing which stories have been read and which links have been clicked).
ASF also uses Google Analytics for web-site statistics. Please note that to provide statistics this may use a visitors’ IP addresses but does not have access to users’ usernames or email addresses. You can find further information on the types of information collected here.
6. What ASF does with the information it collects
ASF requires this information for the operation of AnSionnachFionn.com, hosted by WordPress.com, to provide users with a better service. In particular, ASF may use or disclose user information for the following reasons:
- ASF may use this information for technical processing and to address technical problems or service complaints;
- ASF may use this information to deal with cases of illegal activity, abuse or harassment;
- ASF may transfer this information to enable an external auditor to verify its traffic figures;
- ASF may disclose this information where required by law to do so;
- ASF may disclose this information to law enforcement, government officials or courts where ASF believes that disclosure is necessary and proportionate; and
- ASF may disclose this information where it believes that disclosure is necessary and proportionate for the protection of the legitimate interests of itself or of a third party.
ASF will not otherwise disclose, sell or distribute your information to any third party without your permission.
7. Information you post
Any personal information which you volunteer in your public profile or which you post as a message will be available worldwide to anyone with access to the website.
Please do not post any information you are not happy to leave up indefinitely. ASF strongly recommends that you do not post your name, address, telephone number, email address or anything else that may lead someone to identify you if this is something you are uncomfortable with.
Please note that certain information (such as photographs) which you may choose to provide might reveal your gender, ethnic origin, nationality, religion and/or sexual orientation.
8. Anonymous and Pseudonymous Users
You are free (if you wish) to choose a username which does not reflect your real name on AnSionnachFionn.com. However please be aware that ASF cannot guarantee that others will not be able to determine your identity.
If someone else has posted your personal information on AnSionnachFionn.com without your permission and you would like it removed please contact ASF using the contact form.
ASF is committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure ASF uses WordPress.com for its website hosting and management. This requires secure access methods which ASF adheres to in order to safeguard and protect the information it collects online.
10. Confidential Sources
Users may wish from time to time to pass information to An Sionnach Fionn on a confidential basis. Please note that while ASF takes the privacy of confidential sources seriously, ASF may not always be able to guarantee absolute confidentiality if, for example, ASF is compelled by a court order to reveal the identity of a source. If you wish to pass information to ASF in complete security you may wish to use some of the methods described in the Reporters Without Borders Handbook for Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents.
Current Privacy Revision, 8: 23.05.2017