From the Irish Independent:
‘SINN Féin is set to steal a march on Fianna Fáil by running a candidate in the presidential election.
There is widespread speculation the party is set to announce former Northern minister Michelle Gildernew as its candidate at the Sinn Féin Ard-Fheis in Belfast this weekend.
Ms Gildernew is the former Agriculture Minister in the Northern Ireland Executive and the MP for Fermanagh / South Tyrone.
Sinn Féin is also considering running party vice-president Mary Lou McDonald…’
Hmmm. This makes for some interesting speculating over on Slugger O’Toole, including the claim by the once upon a time would-be candidate Niall O’Dowd that Mary Lou McDonald is the favoured one from amongst the SF ranks. Placing aside O’Dowd’s strong links to Sinn Féin (or is that former strong links?) I think this is still too hard a decision to call. Sinn Féin know they have a good hand to play with and are going to drag this game out for all its worth but it does seem that this weekend’s Ard-Fheis in Belfast may be one line in the sand, with much media anticipation of some announcement one way or another over the race for the Áras. At the moment though it is till very much a guessing game.
- Sinn Fein and The Presidency (cedarlounge.wordpress.com)
- Could Martin McGuinness be Sinn Fein’s candidate for President? (politics.ie)
- Settler Versus Native – Culture Wars In The North Of Ireland (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Can Sinn Féin benefit from FF’s terminal decline and Labour’s betrayals? (politics.ie)
- Sinn Fein Presidential Candidate to be known by end of next week: Martin Ferris (politics.ie)
- Sinn Féin unveil clar for historic (politics.ie)