The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI), the United Kingdom’s militarised policing force in the Six Counties, has released its 2016-17 statistics for paramilitary-related incidences in the contested region and they make for grim reading:
- 61 paramilitary gun attacks, resulting in 28 casualties (25 by Republican groupings, 3 by pro-UK Loyalists)
- 23 paramilitary bombings
- 5 deaths in paramilitary incidences or attacks
- 66 paramilitary physical assaults, a majority related to so-called “punishment beatings” (10 by Republicans, 58 by pro-UK Loyalists)
- 137 arrests related to paramilitary offences
- 19 charged with membership of a paramilitary organisation and/or carrying out paramilitary-related activities
An occupied territory is an ungovernable territory, one where peace will always be no more than a façade. That is the essential truth of Irish and British history and it remains unaltered by three decades of political progress and compromise. We are all prisoners of Britain’s toxic past.