Irish Rights Are Equals Rights – So Fight Back!
Over the last several months I have regularly highlighted the alarm felt by many in Ireland and beyond over the Fine Gael-Labour government’s attitudes to the Irish language and the Irish-speaking population of Ireland (and those who identify with both). It has become clear that the discriminatory policies adopted by Fine Gael in opposition have been carried over into government and with the connivance of the Labour Party the coalition is intent on rolling back a decade of civil rights legislation for the nation’s Irish speaking citizens. We have seen attacks on the Official Languages Act of 2003 and An Coimisinéir Teanga or the Language Commissioner, culminating in the move to abolish the latter office, thus removing any statutory force for Irish-speaking citizens to ensure their legal and constitutional rights in seeking equal services from state with their English-speaking peers.
So I’m highlighting again your chance to do something to protect language rights legislation in Ireland. The government has produced an online questionnaire for those supporting the Official Languages Act to voice their opinion, and though we may feel sceptical about their motives in doing so, it presents an opportunity for those who support Ireland’s indigenous language and culture to stand up and be counted.
Comhdháil Náisiúnta na Gaeilge has now produced a short video explaining what you need to do, so please watch it and then follow the links below to the survey itself, both in English and Irish. It should take no more than 10 minutes to complete the questionnaire and anyone who speaks or identifies with the native Irish language and a native Irish identity, regardless of your own daily spoken language or where you come from, should please take a few short moments to fill it out.
The survey in English is here.
The survey in Irish is here.
Please support civil rights in Ireland and share this post with as many of your friends and contacts as you can.
Cosain Do Chearta Teanga! Protect Your Language Rights!
- Colonially Speaking (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Meanwhile In Ireland, Another Form Of Censorship… (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Irish Rights Are Civil Rights! (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Fighting For The Truth (ansionnachfionn.com)
- RTÉ Should Be TG4 – And Here’s Why (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Silent Voices (ansionnachfionn.com)
- A Second-Class Education For Second-Class Pupils (ansionnachfionn.com)
- An Irish Slam! (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Fine Gael, “No Irish Here!” – A Flashback From 1938 (ansionnachfionn.com)
- There’s No Éire In Ireland! (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Sábháil Ár dTeanga (ansionnachfionn.com)
- Second Class Citizens With Second Class Rights (ansionnachfionn.com)
- A New Era for Newry Gaels (sluggerotoole.com)
- Suil Charad – Irish Language exhibition recommences…. (seachranaidhe1.wordpress.com)